When a customer has a complaint, we want to make it easier to get it resolved.
Customer advocates help banks handle complaints better, improve customer experience, and minimise the likelihood of future problems.
Customer advocates can help their bank better understand where a customer is coming from. They have the power to escalate issues to the CEO if they think the bank isn’t resolving issues properly.
The appointment of customer advocates is an important opportunity to give customers a greater voice when things go wrong and reach fairer outcomes.
Bank Customer Advocates
- AMP Group: Melanie Howard-McDonald who reports to Paul Sainsbury, AMP Group Executive Wealth Solutions and Chief Customer Officer.
- ANZ: Jo McKinstray who reports to Mark Hand, Group Executive Australia Retail and Commercial Banking.
- Arab Bank Australia: James Gow who reports to Joseph Rizk, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- Bank Australia: Fiona Nixon who reports to Rowan Dowland General Manager Corporate Development.
- Bank of Queensland: Tanya Aaskov who reports to Tanny Mangos, General Manager Corporate Public Affairs & Customer Advocacy.
- Bendigo and Adelaide Bank / Rural Bank: Leonie Higgs who reports to the Chief Customer Officer, Marnie Baker.
- Citi: Citi complaints process and frequently asked questions.
- Commonwealth Bank: Angela MacMillan, CBA Group Customer Advocate.
- HSBC: Ayela Thilo, reporting to Kaber Mclean, Chief Executive Officer, HSBC Bank Australia Limited.
- ING DIRECT: Tim Newman, who reports to Head of Retail Banking, Melanie Evans.
- Macquarie Bank: Rosalind Persaud, who reports to Shemara Wikramanayake, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- ME Bank: Scott Dare who reports to Ingrid Purcell, Chief Experience Officer.
- MyState Bank: Brent Kelly who reports to Mandakini Khanna, Chief Risk Officer.
- NAB: Catherine Wolthuizen who reports to the Group Executive, Governance and Reputation and NAB’s Executive Leadership.
- Rabobank: Monica Assaf who reports to Peter Knoblanche, Managing Director Rabobank Aust. & NZ Group / CEO Rabobank Australia.
- Suncorp: Matthew Leslie, who reports to Chief Risk Officer Fiona Thompson.
- Westpac: Adrian Ahern who reports to Christine Parker, Group Executive, Corporate Affairs and Human Resources.
Banks use a set of guiding principles to appoint their customer advocates, ensuring the purpose, responsibilities and independence of the role are clear. Download a copy of the Guiding Principles.
Download a step-by-step guide on how to resolve problems with your bank.