Access more resources and get data on scams and how to avoid them.
28 September 2021
A deep dive with industry experts
On 23 September, ABA CEO Anna Bligh hosted Detective Superintendent Matt Craft, Commander of the Cybercrime Squad, and Dr David Lacey, Managing Director of IDCARE, in this scams and cybercrime webinar.
Topics covered included:
- ‘Upstream’ issues for regulators, law enforcement and industry,
- telco involvement, such as Telstra blocking 13 million scam calls,
- the link between offshore and local scammers,
- the irregular approach across Australia to ID reclamation and cybercrime – with NSW the only state with a dedicated cybercrime squad,
- the need for regulators to speed up their interoperability with their overseas counterparts – and
- advice from the experts on the topic on how to avoid being stung by a scammer.
The webinar lasts for one hour, including a Q&A:
- Last year, Australians lost more than $851 million to scams.
- A recent survey by the ABA shows that 37% of Australians know a close friend, family member (or themselves) who’ve lost money to a scam.
- 66% of Australians fend off a scam every week.
- 29% of Australians report fending off a scam attempt every day.
The ABA has called upon Federal and State Australian governments to work together to combat the ongoing problem of elder financial abuse.